decorative element decorative element decorative element

Other Animals

Injured Animals
What should I do if I find an injured native animal Call Wildlife Information and Rescue Services (WIRES) on 1300 094 737.

Wildlife Information and Rescue Services

Animal First Aid - what you should do?
Caution is required when handling many species of wildlife. WIRES gives full advice on how to handle injured wildlife. Some of this advice is summarised below:

  • Check for danger to yourself, others and the animal. If you are driving, pull over safely to the side of the road. The animal should be approached cautiously especially if it is a reptile. If the animal is alive try to divert the traffic around it but DO NOT PUT yourself in danger in doing this.
  • Handle the animal as little as possible to minimise stress.
  • Remove any threat to the animal. Keep cats and dogs away.
  • Place a towel or blanket over the animal and gently place it in a box (cover the top) if it is safe to do so. Put the box in a warm, quiet, dark room.
  • Do not give food or water.

Volunteers from wildlife organisations are specially trained to look after various native animals including birds and reptiles. They will look after the animal until it is ready to be returned to the wild. It is against the law to keep native animals taken from the wild.

Other Animals
All animals must be kept in a manner that does not create a nuisance or a health risk to the surrounding community.

Common issues dealt with by Council's in relation to animals include:

  • Offensive odours
  • Noise nuisances or
  • Unhealthy conditions causing pest and vermin issues.

These issues can be avoided by considering the type and number of animals that are suitable for your neighbourhood.

If complaints are received by Council and substantiated, Council will request that appropriate actions be undertaken to resolve the issue(s) identified.

Two key pieces of legislation that deal with these issues are:

  • Local Government Act 2003 and associated Local Government (General) Regulation 2005, which provides guidance to Council in the event that Council needs to serve orders to ensure animals are kept appropriately
  • The Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and the associated State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008, which outline the requirements for approvals for certain types of animals and animal shelters.

The following guidelines for poultry, pigs, horses and cattle are based on the Local Government Act 1993 and regulations and are considered a good guide of what conditions are reasonable for keeping these animals.

It should be noted that the following guidelines are only binding on the owner or occupier of premises in circumstances where Council has served an Order under Section 124 of the Local Government Act 1993 stating that they apply to the specific premises.

Livestock Control: Horses and Cattle
All regulations for livestock fall under the Impounding Act 1993 Horses and cattle must not be kept within 9 metres of a dwelling, school, shop, office, factory, workshop, church or other place of public worship, public hall or premises used for manufacture, preparation or storage of food. Stable floors must be paved with concrete or mineral asphalt or similar impervious material and the floor must be graded to drain.

Yards used for the keeping of horses or cattle must be fully enclosed to prevent escape. Farmers must ensure their cattle, sheep, goats or any other livestock they may have are kept on their property at all times unless droving. If droving you must follow the Local Land Services (LLS) guidelines in doing so.

Penalties apply for stock unattended in a public place $330 IMP-32(2).

Note: The Regulation to the Act (see specifically Schedule 2 of the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005) includes standards for the keeping of poultry. These provisions must be read in connection with this Policy.

The keeping of poultry in a residential area is encouraged, subject to the following conditions:

  • The area is kept free of offensive odour/flies and rodents.
  • The poultry yard is fenced to ensure the poultry do not escape.
  • Cages/Hen houses must comply with the Building Code of Australia.
  • The following distances for the location of poultry housing from a dwelling are considered adequate:

    Housing for Fowls (gallus gallus) or guinea fowls 4.5 Metres
    Other Housing (eg Duck/Geese) 10 Metres
  • Roosters are not permitted unless they are able to be housed within a properly constructed sound reduction shed.

The following maximum numbers to be housed at a premise on any urban allotment will be used as a basis for administering the Orders provisions for numbers under the Local Government Act:

Hens 20 fowls
Other poultry 10 birds

  • The chickens must not be a nuisance to neighbours. Please consider the effects on your neighbours in regards to noise, hygiene and roaming.
  • Roosters are likely to cause a noise problem for your neighbours. Council will direct them to be removed if this occurs.
  • Like any structure, chicken coops are subject to development controls and may require development approval. The State Environmental Planning Policy 2008 Subdivision 21 specifies the requirements for building a coop without approval.

Poultry such as ducks, geese, and turkeys must not be kept within 30 metres of a dwelling, public hall, school or any premise used for the manufacture, preparation, sale or storage of food.

All poultry house floors must be paved with concrete or mineral asphalt unless the poultry house:

  • is not within 15.2 metres of a dwelling, public hall or school or
  • is situated on clean sand. Poultry yards must be fully enclosed to prevent escape.

Pigs must not pollute water supplied for use:

  • by a person for drinking or domestic purposes or
  • in a dairy.

Pigs must not be kept within 60 metres of a dwelling, shop, office, factory, church or other place of public worship, workshop, school or public place in a city, town, village or other urban part of an area or on a property with a minimum of 2000m2.

Council may serve an order to increase the distance if it is considered necessary.

Specific requirements in relation to a few additional animals have been listed below. If you are looking to keep other types of animals not listed here you should contact Uralla Shire Council.

Any person wishing to keep bees must be registered with the NSW Department of Agriculture.

The Department investigates complaints about nuisance bees. Any person inquiring about beekeeping or who wishes to make a complaint about nuisance bees should contact
the NSW Department of Agriculture to report any problems.

NSW Department of Agriculture

There are no current restrictions or licencing requirements on how many rabbits may be keep in a domestic situation. Though it still remains illegal to keep wild rabbits in captivity without the approval of the Local Lands Services Authority.