Development Application

A Development Application (DA) is a formal application to Council for carrying out various types of 'development' as defined by NSW Planning legislation and Local Planning Instruments. Development includes activities such as new building works, alterations, additions, demolition, subdivision, and use of land.

At the time of lodgement, detailed plans and supportive documentation should be submitted to facilitate a timely assessment of your application. Failure to provide Council with the information required will 'Stop the Clock', putting the application on hold and delaying the assessment process.

Development Activity Application forms are available for download on our Application Forms page.

Construction Certificate

A Construction Certificate is required in addition to a Development Application for any development involving building works. Such applications may be lodged and processed concurrently with Development Applications. A Construction Certificate Application is seeking building approval.

Either Council or an accredited Private Certifier can issue a Construction Certificate as the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA). At the time of lodgement, the owner must appoint a PCA.

Complying Development Certificate

Complying development is a quick, simple alternative to the Development Application process. Under the DA process each application is subject to a 'merit-based' assessment. In contrast, Complying Development satisfies a range of pre-requisite planning standards and does not require the merit assessment. As is the case with Construction Certificates, Council or an accredited Private Certifier can issue a Complying Development Certificate as the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA.)

The PCA will require the same information as for a Construction Certificate in order to issue a Complying Development Certificate. The PCA can issue certificates for developments that comply with the NSW State Government Complying Development guidelines or Council’s adopted Development Control Plan.

Owners must appoint a PCA at the time of lodgement.

Section 68 Approval

Section 68 of the NSW Local Government Act 1993 requires that a person obtain Council approval for a variety of works. A list of the most common approvals sought from Council is provided below: 

  • Install a manufactured home, moveable dwelling or associated structure on land
  • Operate a caravan park or camping ground
  • Operate a manufactured home estate
  • Install a domestic oil or solid fuel heating appliance
  • Install or operate amusement devices
  • Use a standing vehicle or any article for the purpose of selling any article in a public place
  • Carry out water supply, sewerage or storm water work
  • Transport waste over or under a public place
  • Install and/or operate a system of sewage management
  • Operate an activity on a Council road reserve, such as a street vendor 

Subdivision Certificate

A Subdivision Certificate is required for Council's endorsement of a subdivision plan prior to registration with the Land Registry Services. A Subdivision Certificate should only be submitted after a developer has fulfilled all conditions of the development consent.  The certificate is to be accompanied by the original plan of subdivision including the administration sheet and four copies, a section 88b instrument (if applicable) and the appropriate application fee.

For more information visit our Subdividing Land page.

    Application Forms

    Please visit our Application Forms page to download the appropriate form for all development activities listed above.