Use of Public Land and Venue Hire

Approval for Events or Activities on Public Land

Events or activities on Council owned or managed land require Council approval. This includes any event or activity that uses Council’s footpaths, roadways, parks, sporting fields, and other Council owned or managed land. This approval process is designed to help protect the interests and wellbeing of the local community and environment, and is a requirement under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993.

To hold an event or activity on public land, an Application for Venue Hire - Event on Public Land form should be completed and submitted to Council. Upon receipt of an application, Council staff will check availability of the preferred venue and determine the venue hire fee in accordance with Council’s adopted Fees and Charges. The Applicant will then be issued a confirmation letter, invoice, and Agreement to Licence Property for execution. Bookings are not confirmed until the Agreement to Licence Property has been executed and all monies owed have been received by Uralla Shire Council.

Applicants are encouraged to lodge their applications as early as possible before the proposed event to allow for processing time by Council staff and to ensure facility availability as much as possible. Event organisers should lodge applications no less than six (6) weeks before the proposed event. Events requesting temporary road closures should submit applications no less than three (3) months before the event.

Applicants should note:

  • Large events may require a Development Application (DA) for the erection of temporary structures or to permit change of land use.
  • Events which require a temporary road closure must complete the Application for Temporary Road Closure contained in the Application for Venue Hire form. The application must be lodged with Council at least three (3) months prior to the event. Upon receipt of the completed application and required documentation, Council may forward the request to the Local Traffic Committee for the Committee’s review and comment.
  • Minor event applications take less time to assess, however applications should be lodged at least six weeks before the proposed event to allow for processing time.
  • Applications will be assessed and have approval conditions issued if approved, generally within one month of lodgement.
  • Following receipt of application, Council may request additional supporting documentation and/or a meeting with the applicant to discuss approval conditions.

Council reserves the right to refuse applications where insufficient information is provided. Events deemed a hazard to the general public and/or the environment or where Council believe there is lack of event management skills and experience by the applicant may not be approved.

Application Documents

Application for Venue Hire - Event on Public Land(PDF, 428KB)

Agreement to Licence Property(PDF, 165KB)

Equipment Booking Form and Hire Agreement(PDF, 232KB)

Venues for Hire

The following Council venues and facilities are available to hire.

Outdoor and Recreation: Sporting Fields, Parks and Gardens

  • Hampden Park - per day
  • Uralla Sporting Complex Sporting Fields - per field per day
  • Uralla Sporting Complex - Canteen - per day
  • Alma Park - per day to connect electricity to the bandstand

Room and Office Hire - Community Centre

Rooms and offices are available for hire at Tablelands Community Support Options (TCS) in the Community Centre.

  • Office space - per week
  • Large Group Room and attached Kitchen available for community/commercial hire - per day / half day
  • Small Group Room available for community/commercial hire - per day / half day

Bundarra School of Arts Hall

  • General Hall and Kitchen - per two hour session / regular session / day

External Equipment Hire

In addition to facilities, the following Council equipment is available to hire:

  • Tables
  • Chairs

Policy and Fees

The hire of Council owned or managed assets including facilities, plant and equipment will be managed in accordance with Council policy.

Applicants may be subject to fees and charges, refundable bonds or deposits. Please refer to Council’s Fees and Charges page to view or download the current schedule.